Sunday, November 30, 2014

NaNoWriMo Winner 2014

I conquered NaNoWriMo!


I almost didn't make it. I had 8,000 words to go and only 2.5 days to do it, BUT I locked myself away in my office and got it done with only a few hours to spare. If you don't know what NaNoWriMo is, you can check out my article "NaNoWriMo Makes New York Times Best Sellers" on Delicious Reads. Authors like Marissa Meyer (Cinder) and Erin Morgenstern (The Night Circus) have participated in NaNoWriMo too!

It all comes down to this: you have to write 50,000 words of a new novel in the month of November. To give you an idea of how much that is, my recently released novel, Remembrandt, ended up having 65,700 words. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle has 49,965, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone has 77,508. So in essence, 50K is the bulk of a young adult novel.

What did I write this year? I debated for a long time what I wanted to work on for 2014 because I have a contemporary fantasy series that I love and can't wait to write the 3rd book. I also have an idea for a stand alone realistic fiction novel that I want to write too. In the end, I decided to work on the 2nd book in the Remembrandt series because 1.) I already have a publisher for it 2.) I'd already written a summary for it and 3.) Alexandra is so fun to write!

Certificate for winning NaNoWriMo

This is my 3rd year in a row doing NaNoWriMo and being a "winner." You'd think it would get easier, but it was so hard this year! With my book launch, book marketing, a trip to Washington State to fulfill my duties as Capsule Keeper, and, oh, taking care of five kiddos, including an 18 month old who won't let me sit at a computer, let's just say I spent many days typing late into the night.

Whew! Now I'm going to hibernate through the rest of the winter . . . except now that I have 50,138 words done of Remembrandt #2, I'm itching to complete the novel. Hold on Alex and Golkov and William and Daly - your story will continue soon enough. I just need a little sleep . . .

NaNoWriMo Winner! Now I get to have a break, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment