Friday, October 14, 2016

DIY Harry Potter: Fleur Delacour Beauxbatons Shoes

 

How to Make the Fleur Delacour Beauxbatons Shoes:
Step 1: Find a pair of old shoes with a pointed toe and heel. An oxford would be the best, but I couldn't find one. I found these ankle boots at my local Deseret Industries (a used clothing store) for $6. Clean them with a cloth and soap and water. Let dry.
Step 2: Print my pattern (below) on a 8.5" x 11" paper. You may have to adjust it to fit your shoe, but the general idea should be the same. The fringe part on the pattern should fit any shoe.
Step 3: Place wax paper on top of pattern. Trace the pattern of the heel and toe onto the wax paper (I used a permanent marker). Do this twice for both shoes so that you have 2 heels and 2 toes. You don't need to trace the fringe yet. Put tape over the traced part of the pattern. You are basically turning the pattern pieces into stickers. I used a combination of painter's tape and clear tape because the shiny surface of my shoes would only allow really sticky tape to adhere to it. Cut out the wax paper/tape in the correct shapes.
Step 4: If your base color of your shoe isn't what you want as your darker color, spray paint the darker color now and allow to dry for at least one day.  Since my shoes were black, I decided to just keep the black. In the movie it is more of a navy blue with a baby blue for the heel and toe. I picked this Rustoleum Ultra Cover Satin Wildflower Blue. Splurge on a spray paint that is for indoor/outdoor use and meant to cover to plastic or fabric. Adhere the "stickers" to the shoes, making sure it sticks really well at the edges. Cover the heel of the shoe with more tape so that when you spray paint the shoe it remains the darker color.
Step 5: Spray paint the shoes. I let the first coat dry and then did another coat. Let the paint dry before you remove the tape. At this point, your shoes will look like this:



Remove the tape and clean up the edges with either some paint remover and a cotton swab, or some of the paint you used on your base coat. I even used a black permanent maker to make my edges perfect.
Using tape as a stencil/sticker isn't an exact science. There will be some bleeding of paint.
Luckily, you can fix it easily! I actually used nail polish remover and a cotton swab and then a Sharpie to fix mine.

Step 6: Cut out your fringe pattern piece, Place on top of your Leather Fabric. Pin. Cut out 2 fringe pieces. Since I got my fake leather on clearance in a maroon color, I spray painted black after I cut it out. If your leather isn't the same color as the base color of your shoe, paint it to match.




Step 7: Fold over your cut leather fringe pieces following the pattern and hot glue the fold over. Punch two small holes near the top by the fold. I used a Crop-o-dile, but you can use a hammer and a nail. Pull your leather laces or suede cording (like they use to make jewelry - I found 3mm suede cord at Joann Fabric in the jewelry-making aisle) through the holes and tie in a bow.



Step 8: Hot Glue or sew (it just depends on your shoe material) the fringe near the ankle of the shoe. If your shoe isn't a short boot like mine and it is more like a pump, you can shorten the fringe or even just tie fringe piece around your ankle using the cording and then tie it.


Before I glued on the fringe. See how I cleaned up the lines. You can't even tell I made any mistakes!

Hot glue the fringe on. You could probably use a shoe glue too.

You have to place it quick before the glue dries.

The finished product. Aren't they cute!?!

I think the fringe really makes the shoe look similar to the original in the movie.


I hope you enjoy making and wearing your shoes. Be sure to check out my posts on how to make the dress and cape (here) and how to make the hat (here)! Please send me your finished products and any shortcuts you found. I'd love to post them!

Don't they just go perfect with my Fleur Delacour Dress?
If you are throwing a Harry Potter party or book club, you have to check out my post here on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and the rest of the books that we celebrated on DeliciousReads.com

XoXo,

Robin

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin. Was wonder have you ever made this costume for someone else? Im trying to find this costume for my wife since we are doing a family cosplay. Im making a death eater costume and i made robes for my daughter but this costume looks way to complex for my talents. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have made it for someone else, but I probably would have charged them hundreds just because of the time it took (20 hours or so if you include all the shopping, sewing, shoes, and hat). I don't think it is too difficult for a novice (I'm just an intermediate seamstress myself). If I could have found a blue dress online, I probably would have bought one, but because I found the right color of fabric and the pattern I mention in the post, I decided to just try it. If you are scared to make the dress, I would try and find one online and then just make the cape, hat and shoes. I think the hat is really the part that gives the costume the real "look" and it was easy to make. Good luck! I'd love to see pictures of what you figured out.

      Delete
  3. Since shoe fit affects foot function, the marriage between foot and shoe needs to be a harmonious one. People with foot problems are very often people with shoe problems. Shoes should allow the foot to do its job while still protecting it from the forces of walking 10,000+ steps you take a day. During this daily venture your feet will take on many tasks. Giày New Balance

    ReplyDelete